Transfer Station


  • Thursday: Noon to 7:00 pm
  • Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Saturday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Sunday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • Monday: 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
  • Tuesday & Wednesday closed
Transfer Station Supervisor, Randy Kenneson

Transfer station permits must be renewed or reissued for $20.00 annually by June 30th. All vehicles must display a current permit. The items listed below are presently being accepted at the Winterport Recycling Center. Please prepare your recyclable properly before bringing them to the Recycling Center. Please ask for information from attendant if unfamiliar with recycling. If you have any questions regarding recycling or wish to obtain a guide to recycling in Winterport call or stop by the Transfer Station 223-4482 or the Town Office 223-5055.

SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING. This is leading-edge technology that eliminates the need to separate recyclables by category for collection.  The benefits of single stream are increased participation in recycling which means less waste in our waste stream.  Instead of separating recyclables by type simply combine all glass, tin cans, paper, cardboard and plastics #1-7 into one container and bring them to the transfer station and dispose of them in the same roll off container.

The Town Meeting passed the Solid Waste Ordinance that requires residents to recycle. It shall be the responsibility of each resident or primary occupant of a dwelling, commercial or industrial facility to provide for disposal of all refuse generated therein in accordance with rules and regulations established by State law and the Municipality of Winterport, Maine. This responsibility includes the separation of refuse; delivery of refuse to the Facility; proper on-site storage at the home, commercial or industrial facility and proper methods of disposal.'1 Winterport is required by the State to achieve specified recycling goals. Further, it costs the town about $60.00 per ton to bury the unrecycled items.

The Solid Waste Management Ordinance provides that it shall be the responsibility of each resident or primary occupant of a dwelling, commercial or industrial facility to dispose of all refuse generated therein in accordance with rules and regulations established by State Law and the Town. This responsibility includes the separation of refuse; proper on-site storage at the property of the owner and proper disposal or delivery of refuse to the Transfer Station. Residents must have an appropriate permit displayed on their vehicle. For acceptable wastes the permit fee is five dollars.

The Town Council may determine a fee schedule for other uses, provided however the ordinance specifies that no fee shall be assessed for leaves. Vegetation and brush will fall under the fee schedule for clean wood waste. The Town Council have provided clean WOOD & BRUSH may be placed in the wood waste area as directed by the attendant for the fees set forth below. The clean wood and brush is limited to brush from established residences, leaves, and other non-treated wood. Wood materials that will not be accepted includes: stumps, logs, pressure treated wood, painted woods, furniture, or other coated or treated wood products. Wood must not exceed 6 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length.

The Town Council have established a fee schedule as follows:

  • No charge for metal and other recyclables.
  • Units with freon $20.
  • Small & large propane tanks $5. & $20.
  • Tires, passenger only $1.00.
  • Bulky item, mattresses, etc. $10.00
  • Demolition debris a pick up or a trailer partial load $10.00, a full pick-up $20.00, and each truck $8.00 per yard.
  • Wood wastes a partial pick up or trailer load $5.00, a pick-up $5.00, a truck $5.00 and each multi axle truck $4.00 per yard.
  • Items requiring special handling $10.00.
  • There is no charge if the resident disassembles and places such furniture in the appropriate containers.
UNIVERSAL WASTE  See the attendant for disposal of fluorescent lights, TV's, Computers & Monitors, Ballasts, and some mercury thermostats.

REGARDING CONSTRUCTION DEMOLITION DEBRIS, WOOD AND METAL WASTES The Winterport Transfer Station/Inert Fill area is located at Fernald Field site owned by the Town of Winterport. Winterport's Transfer Station is intended to provide a means for deposition, compaction, storage and transfer of municipal solid waste for the citizens and businesses of Winterport.

Other services provided at this facility will include locations for one roll-off container to be utilized for construction/demolition debris, and inert fill disposal area. Containers for recycling newsprint, cardboard, tin cans, plastic and glass. A building for temporary storage of items prior to reuse and glass crushing operations. An earth area with at least two feet of glacial till cover for the storage of wood waste until transferred out. And a concrete and paved area for storage of metals , bulky wastes, white goods, tires and an inert fill disposal area.

Construction Demolition Debris. "Construction Demolition Debris" means debris resulting from construction, remodeling, repair, and demolition of structures. It includes but is not limited to building materials, asphalt, wall board, pipes, metal conduits, mattresses, household furniture, fish nets, rope, hose, wire and cable, fencing, carpeting and underlay; in excludes asbestos and other special wastes.

Land Clearing Debris. "Land Clearing Debris" means solid wastes resulting from the clearing of land and consisting solely of brush, stumps, soil material, and rocks. Solid Waste. "Solid Waste" means unwanted or discarded solid material with insufficient liquid content to be free flowing, including by way of example and not by limitation, rubbish, garbage, refuse, inert household wastes, material, landscape refuse, wood wastes, white goods, but shall not include sludge, septage, hazardous waste, agricultural or industrial wood by-products.

Wood wastes. "Wood wastes" means brush, stumps, lumber, bark, wood chips, shavings, slabs, edgings, slash, sawdust and pallets which are not mixed with other solid or liquid waste. 5. The wood waste pile may not contain the following: treated wood, construction or demolition debris , asphalt products, tires, white goods, brown goods, paper or cardboard, or refuse. ** The Town may either burn wood waste or have it hauled off.

ACCEPTABLE AND NON-ACCEPTABLE SOLID WASTE The operator(s) shall visually inspect all loads prior to disposal for unacceptable wastes. Loads deemed unacceptable shall not be accepted and the patron instructed to seek an alternative means of disposal. Wastes deemed acceptable shall be deposited in locations as directed by the operator(s). Wastes which are acceptable at this transfer facility are as follows:

Construction/Demolition Debris.

Town Residents: Construction/demolition debris shall be brought to the transfer station separated from other rubbish. The construction/demolition debris shall be deposited in an open-top container as designated by the station operator(s). A separate fee system may be imposed by the Town of Winterport for this type of waste.

Commercial Haulers: Commercial haulers will be directed to the new facility operated by DM&J Enterprises. Waste will be dumped in sorting areas and subsequently handled and hauled by DM&J.

Brush and Burnable Wood Waste. Brush and burnable wood waste shall be brought to the transfer facility separated from all other rubbish. The operator/attendant shall direct the patron to the attenuation pad designated for burning or storage.

Other Non-Acceptable Waste. The station operator(s) shall inform anyone trying to deposit wastes that are deemed unacceptable that they must seek an alternative site. Persons with grievances regarding this rule shall be instructed to contact the Administrator or Town Council. EFFECTIVE APPLICATION These rules established as far back as 1992 be strictly applied. The Maine Departmental Protection is more closely reviewing our Transfer Station Operating Manual. With the rising cost to dispose of construction demolition debris and wood wastes, it has become essential for effective, economic and healthful operations.


What do I do with Latex Paint?
Latex paint cannot be collected as part of this collection. Open the can and let the paint dry out. To speed the process, add kitty litter to the paint. This may take several months, depending upon the quantity of paint. Once dry, the paint can be disposed of in your regular trash.
What do I do with aerosol cans that contain hazardous waste?
If you empty all of the contents in the aerosol can, it can be placed in your regular trash. If the container can not be emptied, bring it to the collection for proper disposal. Aerosol cans are very expensive to dispose of because they require special lab packing, so please try to empty cans if possible.
What do I do with flashlight batteries?
Flash light batteries, AA, AAA, C & D types are what are referred to as alkaline batteries. These batteries can be disposed of in your regular trash and will not be collected during the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day.
What are mercury rechargeable batteries?
These batteries are the types of batteries that power rechargeable toys and hand tools. They are also found in some small appliances such as hand held vacuum cleaners. These batteries also include "Button Cells" that power wrist watches and laser pointers. This type of battery can be brought to the Hazardous Waste Collection day for proper disposal.
What do I do with car, lawnmower, and boat batteries?
These batteries are not part of the Household Hazardous Waste collection and will not be collected. You may consider returning them to the place that they were purchased or call Industrial Metals at 947-3710. Industrial Metals is presently accepting these types of batteries.