When are taxes due? Winterport allows property owners to pay taxes in 2 installments. ONLY ONE TAX BILL IS MAILED. The bills are mailed early in August and the first half of taxes is due in September. The second half of taxes is due in the following March. The proposed dates are listed in the Town Report that is distributed to each tax payer in May and the exact dates are set at the regular June Town Meeting.

Is the information on this web site official? No, the Town of Winterport provides information on this website for general public purposes only. Please refer to official copies of documents, which may be found at the appropriate government office for legal and administrative uses.

Will your electronic communications to us become public records? Your electronic communications to the Town of Winterport will be treated the same as any other written communication. They may become a public record and thus subject to public inspection. However, many private, confidential, legal communications are protected and may not be disclosed. All such communications are subject to municipal records retentions and disposal rules; and may be saved for a period of time before they are destroyed.

I need to re-register my vehicle, what do I need to do? Town Office: Bring a copy of your old registration, current insurance card and current mileage. On Line: Click on the DMV link, where you will find detailed instructions on how you may re-register on-line. To complete the Rapid Renewal process you will need a copy of your current registration, your current insurance card, your current vehicle mileage. The system will accept Visa/MasterCard or electronic check transfers.

I have purchased a new vehicle, what do I need to do to register it? Private Sale: You will need to bring copies of the following paperwork which you should have received at the time of the sale. A Bill of Sale written from the previous owner to you. The previous title (for all vehicles 1995 and newer) signed over to you by the previous owner. A copy of your current insurance card is required to register your vehicle.

If you would like to transfer plates from and old vehicle to a new vehicle you will need to bring a copy of the old registration. A transfer credit is only allowed, if you no longer own the vehicle or you have junked it. Dealer Sale: You will need to bring copies of the following paperwork which you would have received at the time of sale: Title Application (Blue) Dealer Certificate (Green) Window Sticker (for brand new vehicles) As with all other registrations, you will also need to bring a copy of your current insurance

Helpful Hints: Winterport is a full service agent office for registrations up to and including trucks registered for up to 9000 lbs.

In order for our staff to complete your automobile registrations in a efficient and timely manner it would be extremely helpful to always bring with you , your old registration as every transaction is in the computer by Plate Number, your current insurance card which is in effect on the date of your transaction that includes the vehicle you are registering, Year, Make and Serial Number, the old title for vehicles (1989 and newer) properly made out and signed by the previous owner and as always the current mileage.

For additional information on motor vehicles click on Maine State Home Page and search under the Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Are there any famous people from Winterport? Yes, James Otis Kaler the children's author. Look on the Winterport Historical Society link under Organizations to learn more.

How do I obtain General Assistance from the Town?  

The Municipality of Winterport administers a General Assistance Program for the support of the poor. Pursuant to Title 22 MRSA 4305, the Municipal Officers have adopted the Ordinance establishing that program.  A copy of this ordinance is available for inspection at the Winterport Town Office, 44 Main Street.  Also available, for inspection, is a copy of the State's General Assistance as the Maine Department of Human Services makes copies of the State law available to the municipality.  Persons wishing to apply for General Assistance may do so at the Winterport Town Office:  Monday-Wednesday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.  In an emergency, applicants may call the Town Manager, Michael Crooker, at (207) 478-3847.  The Municipality's General Assistance Administrator must issue a written decision regarding eligibility to all applicants within (24) hours of receiving the application.  The Department of Human Services toll-free number to call with questions regarding the General Assistance Program is 1-800-442-6003.  All General Assistant Applicants must bring all receipts showing use of income, any utility bills and landlord information, if general assistance is requested for such.  This notice is posted pursuant to Title 22 MRSA 4303-4305.  

Town Office Hours- M 7am-5:30pm; T 7:30 am-5:30 pm; W 7:00am-6pm; TH 7am-5:30 pm; closed Fridays. 

Assessors Hours: 2nd Wed 3 PM to 5 PM

Code Officer Hours: Contact Town Office

Disclaimer: The Town of Winterport provides links to our residents on our site for educational and informational purposes and by no means are an endorsement by the Town of a candidate, political party, point of view, business, or ideology.